Christmas Gifts that Save Lives: 2019 Wish List
Here are some ways that anyone can work along with us to provide basic and life-saving needs to families in poverty-stricken villages of Zacapa. These gifts help us share God's love in tangible ways that open the doors to relationships with families. For the holidays, donors can designate their gifts to go to one or more of the following areas:
1. Blessing Baskets of food. We can provide 2 weeks worth of food for only $40 (family of 4 to 6 people). Large families will receive 2 baskets. Guatemalans love to celebrate Christmas, but those in extreme poverty have no way to do that. We give corn, beans, rice, Incaparina (nutritional drink mix), milk, cereal and soup in our Blessing Baskets.
2. Five-gallon “Ecofiltro” water filters manufactured in Guatemala. Clean drinking water is not available in any of the 3 villages where we minister. The water table has dropped due to years of drought, and there are no funds available to drill new wells. Children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems are dying due to illnesses from parasites in the drinking water. A $50 filter can save lives!
3. Wood stoves with chimney pipes for cooking. Cooking fumes from open fires inside homes and huts are a major cause of lung disease for women and children. The mothers bake corn tortillas daily, as an inexpensive and stomach-filling staple of their diets. Open fires indoors, mean that the women and children are inhaling fumes equivalent to smoking as many as 8 packs of cigarettes a day!! They often have babies in a hammock near the fire! Many babies die due to lung ailments. Our Gabby had lung problems when we met her, after living in a mountain hut for her first 6 months near a cooking fire. A $200 stove can literally save lives!
4. Sewing machines. God has really blessed our ladies sewing class and Bible study, held at our church in Conevisa. The women are so overjoyed to be earning money to provide for their children, and we are able to sell their creations in the U.S. We’d like to start a sewing class for beginners in January and so we need additional machines. A gift of $180 can help turn a single mom struggling with poverty into an entrepreneur with her own way to earn an income! It’s a real confidence-builder for ladies, as they grow in faith and skills. These are legacies they can pass down to the next generation.
5. “10 + 10 = 20” Here is an idea for family/group involvement that is really fun. Ask 9 family members or friends to give $10 each. Add your $10, and you have $100. With that donation, we can buy $5 toys for 20 children living in poverty! The math adds up LOL!! Would you consider doing this with your family on Thanksgiving Day? It would bring such joy to kids who don’t receive Christmas gifts.
If you wish to give a gift for one or more of these items on our website, please designate where you would like the money to be used -- Blessing Baskets, water filters, stoves, sewing machines or Christmas toys. You can click on any donate button here on this website, and all gifts are tax-deductible. There's also an address on the "Contact Us" page where checks can be sent.
We really want YOU to decide, because it’s so exciting to see how God speaks to each person and puts it all together to provide a beautiful Christmas season. Thank you for helping us share the Gospel through these gifts, as we are able to give them with an explanation of THE REASON FOR THE SEASON -- Our Savior Jesus Christ!!
Much love to you and yours this Christmas season. <3
Life of Promise Ministries
Our Mission Statement: Life of Promise Ministries is a Christian organization providing services to women and children from isolated areas of Guatemala who are in crisis situations. Abusive relationships and/or crisis pregnancies are the two main circumstances addressed by our ministry. We share God's love and grace while offering temporary housing, basic material needs, and counseling.
January 2017: Fighting for survival in 4th year of drought
Zacapa is now in its 4th year of a terrible drought. So many of the people we serve are left without jobs because crops have dried up and failed. The water table has dropped in Zacapa, and many wells have to be moved and/or dug deeper. Our village of Conevisa has been without water since April. Families with young children are going hungry each day because there are no farm jobs, and many are dying from preventible diseases. Please pray for the people of Guatemala. Our hearts are broken for the families that we love so much. Please consider giving to Life of Promise Ministries so we can help single mothers and children with emergency supplies of food and water. You can make a credit or debit card donation right here on our website.
Take a look at these beautiful faces! Souls that our Lord created in His sovereignty and His great love. In the top photo, they are waiting for a bowl of cereal outside Iglesia Shalom Jireh, our church in the village of Conevisa. For some of these children, it is the only meal they will receive for the day. In the bottom photo, these single mothers and their children live and work at the Zacapa dump. We are thanking God that He has called Life of Promise to bring these children to our new mission house playground for Bible lessons, reading lessons, lunch and play time. Please see our "Mission House" page for more details.